Best Smart Locks for your Bnb Home
When you rent out your Airbnb property, you want to make sure you have a secure way for the guests to get into the property. Or how about if you are far away from your vacation rental property and worried about how you will let your guests get in and out with the least amount of effort on your part? If these are some of your concerns then a smart lock may be your solution.
A smart lock offers both security and flexibility, letting you control access to your home with your phone. And installation is easier than you think. Let’s take a look at some amazing innovations and features in smart locks.
What Is a Smart Door Lock?
Smart locks use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to communicate with the Internet. They are better than traditional locks because they can automatically lock after a certain period of time and provide real-time notifications when the door is open or closed.
A smart lock is a type of lock that uses Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or both to communicate with an external network. It is also what we call “smart” because it can do more than just unlock your door, such as detect if someone has entered your home without permission (by detecting if someone who isn’t authorized has opened the door) and notify you of this event in real-time through an app on your phone.
Which Smart Locks are good for Vacation Rentals?
We did a survey and asked vacation property owners what they use and like the best. The same three were hands down mentioned the most. These were August Smart Lock 2nd generation, Schlage Encode, and Nest X Yale.
The August Smart Lock 2nd generation is a great way to secure your home without the need to use a key. It has been designed to work with both Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant, so you can use voice commands to lock or unlock your door.
The smart lock ties into your existing deadbolt so there is no need for any additional installation costs. The app enables you to add family members, set up access times, and enable guest access. So anyone who wants in just needs to be given the four-digit code that’s used for unlocking it in the app.
- The August app is available for both Android and iOS. It has a beautiful and intuitive interface.
- The app is very straightforward to use, and it allows you to do everything that you want with your lock, from changing the settings to adding or removing August Connect accessories.
- It’s voice-enabled, meaning that you can unlock your door with a simple “Hey Siri” command. This feature works just as well on Apple devices as it does on Android phones, which is great because some people might have an iPhone while others might have an Android phone.
- The second generation of the August Smart Lock is the first device in its price range that supports HomeKit integration. So if someone has any HomeKit compatible products in their home like Philips Hue
“We love that guests can use the app on their smartphone to open the door or use a personal entry code. Access and codes are timed specifically for their stay and codes are unique to each guest.”
“We can connect the lock with your Airbnb listing and guests are automatically notified how to download the app or use the key code upon booking. The guests are added to your phone app. You can also open and lock the door remotely or assign vendors specific codes. You can set up codes for different people, set timelines, lock and unlock all from your phone.”
The Schlage Encode Smart Wi-Fi Deadbolt is the perfect solution for homeowners looking to simplify their lives and make home access hassle-free. The lock senses when the homeowner is near and automatically unlocks, and it remembers the last user and unlocks at the push of a button.
In addition to keypad entry, this smart lock also connects to your phone via WiFi so you can use your smartphone as your key. Keep in mind that you will need an internet connection in order for it work properly.
- The Schlage Encode Smart Wi-Fi Deadbolt is one of the latest smart locks on the market.
- The Schlage Encode Smart Wi-Fi Deadbolt features an intuitive touchscreen that allows you to easily access and control your lock from anywhere in the world. It also has a built-in alarm system that will go off if someone tries to break into your home.
- They loved the no hub, direct wifi connection, works with or without wifi connection because the codes are stored in the lock so it works fine without wifi you just need wifi to program/ update codes (lots of people voted this one)
- It can create codes as go
- You can set up when codes expire
- It has alerts on when people use the door
- It can open remotely
- Really customized
- Easy to input codes and delete them
- Easy to install on the phone
- Looks nice
- Guests have had no problems using it and getting into the house
- Pair it with a remote lock or your porter and codes will be generated and deleted automatically, has a good operational life
Nest is a company that makes the most advanced home thermostats and smoke detectors. The company recently announced the Nest x Yale Lock. The lock is an internet-connected lock made up of two parts. The first part is the Nest Connect, which is like a Wi-Fi bridge for your house. It can be plugged into any wall socket and lets you connect to your smart home system through a phone app or voice assistant like Google Home or Amazon Alexa. The second part, the Yale Lock, attaches to your door and can be controlled with a smartphone app or voice command via Google Home or Amazon Alexa as well.
The Nest Connect plugs into any wall socket in your house and removes the need for wires everywhere while keeping things connected through wi-fi and removing those pesky key-pads
- Nest x Yale is a smart lock that uses facial recognition to grant you access. Yale is the company that first introduced the smart lock in 1994, and Nest is the California-based company behind a lot of innovative products like Nest Thermostat and Nest Cam.
- This is one of their newest product releases that combines their two best ideas into one device for a seamless user experience. It has an app feature that combines both facial recognition and Bluetooth technology, which will allow you to get notifications if someone walks up in front of your door or tries to enter without permission.
There are many more out there that you may like but it is important to keep in mind these features that your smart locks should have.
The first thing and main concern while buying a smart lock should be about security. So, if your bnb property is rent-out of your living space, then you must take into account those smart locks that offer you maximum and guaranteed security for your property.
- Easy to operate
Handling the conventional keys to somebody for some days on rent is very simple, but this can be a technical process when it comes to smart locks! So, you should buy the suitable one for you and the guest to operate and handle.
Are smart locks worth buying?
Yes, definitely when it comes to the security of your BnB property, then the smart lock is the best option in this regard.
Which smart lock is the best one in the market?
August Smart Lock 2nd Generation
August Smart Lock 2nd Generation seems to be the most loved of the clients we interviewed. It is secure, easy to handle, and available at a reasonable price! It is easy to operate, gives you the best security, accessibility through many ways, and there’s much more that they offer! So, choose your favorite one and shop now!
I would love to hear what smart locks work best for you.
What smart lock do you prefer and why?