Asbestos in the home

Asbestos in the home

Is Asbestos in the home dangerous?

The presence of asbestos in the home is only hazardous if the material becomes damaged or deteriorates. Asbestos is a material that was used in many homes and buildings many years ago.  At the time it was used, no one realized how dangerous it was.  However, nowadays, we know the hazards of this material. It can make people sick if they have been exposed to it over time.  Asbestos if it becomes a dry and crumbly powder it may release fibers into the air that can be inhaled and cause a health risk.

How and where to check for asbestos

To find out if your house has asbestos you will need to check common areas where asbestos is found such as the roof, bathroom, and basement. You may suspect it if there is an outline of old flooring tiles in a 9” x 9” pattern or if pipes that aren’t insulated have a white or gray around the fittings.  For more information you can also read Carries post, Top 15 places you might find asbestos over at Carrie This Home. But the best way is to hire a certified asbestos specialist.

 

Is it worth buying a house with asbestos?

If asbestos is found in a home you really like, you shouldn’t necessarily pass on buying it. You can get the asbestos removed for fairly reasonable cost. So you can decide if you like the property enough to negotiate the purchase price include the removal of asbestos in it.

 

 

Symptoms to Look for When You Suspect Asbestos in Your Home or Building

  • Weight loss as well as a loss of appetite
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • High blood pressure
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Swelling in the neck or face
  • A crackling sound when breathing
  • Chronic cough
  • Chest pain
  • Difficulty doing anything that requires physical exertion

While asbestos will not be found in newer homes and buildings, there is still a chance that it is in older homes and buildings.  Therefore, if you suspect you have spent time in a home or building that has asbestos you must alert a healthcare professional if you experience any of the symptoms listed above.

Of course, it is possible that the symptoms listed above can be related to many other things.  However, it is best to err on the side of caution and have a test for potential asbestos poisoning completed to be safe.

If you think that your home or building has asbestos in it, you may want to call a professional.  That way you can take the appropriate steps to have it removed, so you can stay there and stay healthy at the same time.

 

Asbestos Removal

If you know your home or your business structure contains asbestos, it might be time to remove it. The asbestos removal process requires special steps to eliminate the possibility of asbestos fibers being released into the air. If such an event would occur, the asbestos fibers would put everyone in the immediate vicinity in danger.  These fibers are difficult to detect as they are microscopic and aren’t accompanied by any particular taste or smell. The dangers that the removal process entails have recently been subject to controversy. Many are against removing asbestos from older buildings as a result of the problems which could ensue as a result of improper removal.

Many companies worldwide have already taken the initiative to remove asbestos from older buildings. Even the government has been involved in contracting with companies to remove asbestos. The controversy surrounding removal is not likely to subside anytime soon. However, people need to begin understanding that the risks involved in removal may far outweigh those involved in keeping the asbestos as-is. In the end, it is ultimately your choice.

 

Read more about asbestos here. 

More on toxins in the home.

Home Poison Prevention

There are no comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

error: Content is protected !!